Skip to main content

I'm such a slacker

Okay, technically not really, but if this blog is evidence, I've been comatose from either natural or artificial causes for the last month.

In reality, I have:
  • Revised my online novel communities paper (and it was accepted!)
  • Attended a wedding in the States (no comment)
  • Presented the above paper at the MeCCSA postgrad conference (poorly attended session, but whatever)
  • Applied for umpteen jobs and one grant (the only one I can apply for) to drum up money for this year. It's not looking promising, kids.
  • Attended a workshop on academic papers...taught at a 3rd grade level. Or something similar. Disappointing.
  • Cleaned up administrative messes in the grade reporting for almost all the classes I taught. So far, the errors have not been mine, but it's hard to tell when every school in the uni does it differently.
  • Started a gig creating video tutorials for graphics software. So far, I've done vids for Adobe Flash. I like this gig. Too bad it's not ongoing.
My supervisory committee meeting is in 10 days, and I've had to complete a report on my progress (something I'll reproduce here after the meeting, to save time/space). I'm happy with the work I've done, but unhappy with the time I'm able to spend on it, which is very little, considering how much time I spend chasing money in one fashion or another. Yes, I realize that chasing money is part of what academics DO, but it's been ridiculous. Not to mention all the wild goose chases led gleefully by the university itself. Anyway...

It's still up in the air whether I'll be continuing research this year, or suspending until I find money to pay my fees. If I have to suspend, I'll get to spend the year finding funding, yes, but hopefully also finishing up some projects that have been tossed to the back burner for the past year, like my last novel (which was going really well!), and finishing the digital piece that was really just a testing ground for the PhD research, not a part of the finished whole.

Also, I have seen Harry Potter twice. Totally irrelevant to anything else I'm doing, but yay for fun films. The "Coming Soon" category is pretty sparse at the moment, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyblogging Carnival XX

Welcome to the twentieth Storyblogging Carnival. Previous Storyblogging Carnivals are archived here . Today we have ten entries from some of our favorite writers. Please note: As this is my first time hosting the carnival, I may have gotten things screwy. Let me know if links don't work, etc. Thanks! Enjoy! ________________________________________________ A sarcastic cyborg debriefs by Mark A. Rayner of The Skwib A 325 word short short rated PG-13. Imagining what a Dalek might say to a government interviewer when captured. This is skwibby fiction: stories inspired by news and current events (in this case a New Scientist piece about the nature of sarcasm). ________________________________________________ The Frog Vice-President: A Long Limbed Tale by Jason Pomerantz of Fiddle and Burn: A Daily Comic Strip in Prose A short satire, rated PG. A fairy tale of the present, ripped from today's headlines. ________________________________________________ The Meaning of a Flush by E...

My Take on Specifications Grading (or, How I Learned to Not Spend My Weekends Marking)

I’ve been proselytizing this method for a while now, and have used it in a range of creative writing and publishing modules. It’s been wildly successful for me (though of course I’ll continue tweaking it), and enough people have asked about it that I thought I’d put it together into an overview/summary resource. It should probably be an actual paper one of these days, but that would require time and research and motivation. Natch. My teaching model is based on Linda Nilson’s Specifications Grading  (she’s also got a great intro article on Inside Higher Ed ), just so the original genius can get plenty of credit. My motivations are these: I came a hair’s breadth from burning out entirely. I went from teaching creative writing classes with 7-10 students on them to massive creative writing modules with 80+ students on them. Marking loads were insane, despite the fact that I have a pretty streamlined process with rubrics and QuickMarks and commonly used comments that I can cut and ...

If It's for Children, Why Is It So Naughty?

I have a sore throat. For this malady, I requested popsicles, preferably anything resembling Jell-O Pudding Pops (click the link, seriously. It's more than you bargained for). My Australian husband, who has never known the joy of pudding pops or Bill Cosby expounding their benefits (J-E-L-L-O!), got me these: Let's ignore for a moment how creepy I find the whole Jelly Babies phenomenon. I mean, you're eating babies , for chrissake. Stalin didn't even eat babies (AFAIK). Of course, the concept is babies; the reality is they're about the size and shape of a 9-week-old fetus. Even if you aborted a fetus that size, you wouldn't eat it. I hope. But Wobbly Lollies aren't baby/fetus shaped. Rather, they've flown backward in the reproductive process, back through growth phases and cell differentiation. Back through mitosis, through fertilization. Swimming backward through the jelly-lined uterus through the cervix, out the vagina, right back up the ...