Skip to main content

I Had To Do It. Really

One of my supervisors is a big champion of the free and open source. To you, I offer my apologies. I tried. I really did. I got to know GIMP well enough to actually use it. I found a great free wiki builder that I still think will be a great base for the community of my digital fiction site. I use Open Office, and even attempted to use their presentation software to build my prototype story.

I still won't use PowerPoint. Never fear on that score.

But.

I.

Had.

To.

Get.

Adobe Creative Suite 4.

Software companies are like dope dealers. They give out that free taste, knowing they'll hook you for life, and that after 30 days you'll be jonesing for that registration key bad enough to jack your mama's stereo. It's how Scrivener got me. It's how Circus Ponies' awesometastic Notebook got me. And now, it's how Adobe's gotten me.

I'm presenting a prototype of my PhD work in just under two weeks. After weeks of working on the story with free/share/open source and "bundled with my Mac" -ware, I was maybe a fifth through with the digital draft - and yes, I do mean draft.

After two days of Adobe Flash, I'm a third in...and that includes time running through tutorials to familiarize myself with the program. Love.

It's expensive, I know, but that student ID card gets me more than just a quid off movie tickets. And with it, I can actually solidly visualize how to get the massive PhD project into the world.

So when the trial ends, so does my savings account. Gimme my crack, Adobe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyblogging Carnival XX

Welcome to the twentieth Storyblogging Carnival. Previous Storyblogging Carnivals are archived here . Today we have ten entries from some of our favorite writers. Please note: As this is my first time hosting the carnival, I may have gotten things screwy. Let me know if links don't work, etc. Thanks! Enjoy! ________________________________________________ A sarcastic cyborg debriefs by Mark A. Rayner of The Skwib A 325 word short short rated PG-13. Imagining what a Dalek might say to a government interviewer when captured. This is skwibby fiction: stories inspired by news and current events (in this case a New Scientist piece about the nature of sarcasm). ________________________________________________ The Frog Vice-President: A Long Limbed Tale by Jason Pomerantz of Fiddle and Burn: A Daily Comic Strip in Prose A short satire, rated PG. A fairy tale of the present, ripped from today's headlines. ________________________________________________ The Meaning of a Flush by E...

My Take on Specifications Grading (or, How I Learned to Not Spend My Weekends Marking)

I’ve been proselytizing this method for a while now, and have used it in a range of creative writing and publishing modules. It’s been wildly successful for me (though of course I’ll continue tweaking it), and enough people have asked about it that I thought I’d put it together into an overview/summary resource. It should probably be an actual paper one of these days, but that would require time and research and motivation. Natch. My teaching model is based on Linda Nilson’s Specifications Grading  (she’s also got a great intro article on Inside Higher Ed ), just so the original genius can get plenty of credit. My motivations are these: I came a hair’s breadth from burning out entirely. I went from teaching creative writing classes with 7-10 students on them to massive creative writing modules with 80+ students on them. Marking loads were insane, despite the fact that I have a pretty streamlined process with rubrics and QuickMarks and commonly used comments that I can cut and ...

If It's for Children, Why Is It So Naughty?

I have a sore throat. For this malady, I requested popsicles, preferably anything resembling Jell-O Pudding Pops (click the link, seriously. It's more than you bargained for). My Australian husband, who has never known the joy of pudding pops or Bill Cosby expounding their benefits (J-E-L-L-O!), got me these: Let's ignore for a moment how creepy I find the whole Jelly Babies phenomenon. I mean, you're eating babies , for chrissake. Stalin didn't even eat babies (AFAIK). Of course, the concept is babies; the reality is they're about the size and shape of a 9-week-old fetus. Even if you aborted a fetus that size, you wouldn't eat it. I hope. But Wobbly Lollies aren't baby/fetus shaped. Rather, they've flown backward in the reproductive process, back through growth phases and cell differentiation. Back through mitosis, through fertilization. Swimming backward through the jelly-lined uterus through the cervix, out the vagina, right back up the ...