• linked-in
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • flickr
  • RSS

Creative Research

My research explores multimodal creativity through print and digital stories. Please feel free to comment or contact me!

Popular Posts

Twitter Feed

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Surviving the Shark Tank

My department started this incredibly helpful, cruel, beneficial, nerve-wracking thing they call the Shark Tank. It's open to any staff or postgraduate in the Humanities (I think the Sciences have a similar thing). Every so often some brave soul offers themselves up as bait, submits a paper they're intending to submit for publication, and lets the group rip it to shreds in an hour after lunchtime.

I, being a bloody idiot, decided to be the first postgrad to suffer this fate. Well, I didn't decide it; I thought my officemate and fellow New Media PhD was going first. But she took baby steps, letting our New Media Research Circle take a bite on her paper first, rather than facing up to the entire College. That dropped me headfirst into the water.

I'd been working on a paper since last semester, using online author websites (like Neil Gaiman's, Jasper Fforde's, and Jim Butcher's) as models for a bridge for readers to learn digital storytelling conventions. By interacting on these feature-rich websites, based on print storytelling, readers learn the networked, interactive communication mechanisms central to the efficacy of digital stories.

Anyway, I don't write anything anymore just for it to sit and look pretty. I intend for the issue of my tap-tap-tapping fingers to work for their supper, gol-darn-it!

By the time Shark Tank rolled around, I'd already submitted to one journal, Convergence. I sent the paper off to Shark Tank to be distributed, and then checked out my publication options. Convergence had a Call for Papers out for a themed issue on "Writing and the Web," whose topics included coverage of such things as author websites.

Only the deadline was three weeks past.

I emailed the editor with my abstract anyway, figuring it was worth a shot, particularly since my paper is so related to their topic. She agreed, and is currently reviewing the piece. So the worst part - getting the nerve to submit to academic publications - was over before it really began.

That only left the Shark Tank, where everyone I knew and respected could see what a hack I was. I shouldn't have worried so much. Apart from a few notes on some areas where I could deepen the analysis if I so choose and some terminology confusion (most of which I agreed with), the group had no major notes for me. No one said I was an idiot, or had used useless references, or that my theory was far-fetched and unsupported by the evidence I presented. My language is a bit too colloquial (hello, fiction author and blogger for the last decade), but I'm sure with a little practice I can make it academic, jargony, and dull.

Now that's over, it's time to get back to what I actually do: write fiction. I've got a short story to write and adapt to digital format by June. Let the stress hormones flow refreshed.

No comments: