• linked-in
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • flickr
  • RSS

Creative Research

My research explores multimodal creativity through print and digital stories. Please feel free to comment or contact me!

Popular Posts

Twitter Feed

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Getting Rolling

It's a lovely week. I teach two classes (same module, twice) for the English department, and on the schedule this week rose two lovely words: "Reading Week." It's a really fancy way to say "no class."

So I've only had to focus on teaching my poetry classes, which means I have today (Thursday), and all of tomorrow afternoon to do what I'm meant to be doing every week: writing for my PhD project.

What am I doing right now? Paying bills, backing up my computer, researching kilts in my clan tartan, commenting on Facebook photos... Some call it procrastination. I call it warm-up.

My list for the day: finish doing my US taxes, run, cycle, ride my horse, write a blog entry, and get 1000 more words down on my story. I'm forcing myself to write on the story for an hour before I can run, cycle, or ride.

10 a.m., and here I am, just beginning to write a blog entry. I'm thinking it's like getting to the pitch an hour before the game, meandering around, maybe jogging a bit, stretching out the hurty places (at 30, I have a lot more now than I ever did). My fingers are warming up on the keyboard, I've turned my iTunes mix on, I'm thinking about where my character is going. In about half an hour, I might actually write. GASP.

What's been difficult is that I haven't been able to write every day, or even every week. It's much easier for me these days to go for a run than it is for me to write. I have a scary triathlon coming up in May, and I don't want to fail miserably. Plus, running and training doesn't stress me out. Lately, the writing has a lot of pressure on it. Will it suck? Will it be good enough for the PhD? Will I be able to adapt to a reasonable digital format, or will it just be a hodgepodge of images and text?

I won't know until I do it, however, so I might as well quit hemming and hawing over it. Time to go write about a girl with a black hole in her belly. I like black holes.

No comments: